Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Personal Goals...for the next 87 days

I just found out that my brother is getting married at the end of THIS summer (and not next summer as originally planned). This is great news, of course, but it also presents a problem. ... I am currently 20 pounds over my "ideal" weight. I REALLY want to lose those 20 lbs and look nice for this special occasion because 1) this should be the last wedding for our immediate "Ogorzalek" family for a while, 2) my mom is crazy when it comes to taking pictures, and 3) I've been wanting to lose this weight for a while but haven't had the motivation. SO...I've decided to take this time and WRITE down my current, short-term personal goals (I have a few more than just "lose weight") and keep track of my progress over the next 87 days (Paul and JoJo's wedding is September 4...87 days from today, June 8). Hopefully I'll have some good news along the way; I may even post a pic at the end...we'll see!

Goal 1 - Lose 20 lbs.
Background: I started struggling with my weight in college, when I got my first full-time desk job. Thankfully, I was able to get my weight down during basketball season of my senior year, which is about the only time I ever felt "skinny". Shortly before we got married, I started putting on weight again. (During my last fitting, my seamstress told me I wasn't allowed to gain any more weight or I wouldn't fit into my dress! :-S ) Since then, I've gained almost 30 lbs. ... I KNOW everyone says "you're tall; you can't see it," but I can (and Adam can too). I started a pretty stringent diet in the fall of 2009 and did ok for a little while (I lost 10-15 lbs before we went on vacation in January), but between going on vacation, starting a new job, and getting even busier with life, I haven't been able to lose any more. So...I AM GOING TO LOSE 20 lbs in the next 87 days (12+ weeks - which is completely healthy if "healthy" is about 2 lbs/week). XX crossing my fingers XX

Steps to accomplish my goal:
1) Drink more water; drink less soda/tea. Start by drinking at least 1 0.5 l bottle of water/day. Progress to 2 bottles by beginning of week 4. Progress to 3 bottles by beginning of week 7. Progress to 4 bottles by beginning of week 10.
2) Start by eating breakfast. (This is going to be difficult because I don't get up early!) Start by eating a bowl of cereal or drinking a slim fast shake for breakfast at least 2 times per 7 days. Progress to 3 times/week by beginning of week 4; 4 times by beginning of week 7; 5 times by beginning of week 10.
3) Eat more fruits/veggies; eat less candy/high-sugar foods. Start by cutting down on sugary snacks (i.e. eat 1/2 the pack of rolos instead of the whole pack). Progress to eating lower calorie snacks in the afternoon (i.e. a pack of fruit snacks instead of a pack of rolos). Progress to eating fruit/veggie snacks by beginning of week 6 (WO July 11).
4) Plan my meals. Start by bringing WW lunch at least 2 times per week. Progress to 3 times/week by beginning of 4. Progress to 4 times per week
and add planning dinners at least 2 times per week by beginning of week 7. Progress to planning dinners 4 times per week (ESPECIALLY WEEKENDS) by week 10.

WOW!! That's a lot!

Goal 2 - Run a 5K.
Background: I'm not a runner; I don't claim to be. I used to excel in sprinting short distances, but I can't even do that anymore. I know I have limitations with my asthma and allergies, but I believe being able to run (even if it's a slow run) 3.1 miles is a tangible, worth-while goal that will improve my overall health.

Steps to accomplish my goal:
1) Continue running after yoga.
2) Begin walking. In addition to running, start by walking for at least 20 minutes 2 times per week. Progress to 3 times per week by beginning of week 4.
3) Follow 7-week 5K training schedule. Starting at week 6 (July 11), Run/Walk for at least 30 minutes 6 times per week.

Goal 3 - Investigate continuing education
Background: I've always had a desire to pursue both a masters and doctoral degree. It's just so hard to figure out what direction I want to go in and how best to get there. BUT, I have to start somewhere.

Steps to accomplish my goal:
1) Pray. Begin by praying about what God wants me to do at least 3 times per week. (I know that sounds pretty basic...maybe even "stupid" to dictate how much I need to pray for this...but this keeps me accountable, and I need that in all aspects of life!)
2) Continue investigating Medical informatics programs, schools, etc. Start by completing my resume by 6/20.
3) Pick something and apply. I don't want to rush the application process or spend application fees unnecessarily, but I need to pick something and work toward it until God closes the door. Hopefully step 1 will help!
______________________________________

I'm pretty sure that those three goals, along with work, church, graduation parties, summer activities, and other sundry social events, will keep me busy for the next 87 days. But now they're written down, so let's see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me, Rachel!! :) Love that you love challenges... and that you're focused on being the best you can be!

    ReplyDelete